Project Frenzy

Hello, welcome to Project Frenzy Forums.. As a guest you are able to view our Support thread. However, as a member you receive all that we have to offer including..

1.Early Release downloads + Beta Testing
2.Daily up-to-date information, and latest news
3.Suggest mods, and give us feedback.
4.Talk with the community, and even apply for a position!

What are you waiting for? It's FREE!! -->Click Here To Sign Up!<--

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Project Frenzy

Hello, welcome to Project Frenzy Forums.. As a guest you are able to view our Support thread. However, as a member you receive all that we have to offer including..

1.Early Release downloads + Beta Testing
2.Daily up-to-date information, and latest news
3.Suggest mods, and give us feedback.
4.Talk with the community, and even apply for a position!

What are you waiting for? It's FREE!! -->Click Here To Sign Up!<--

Project Frenzy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to the Frenzy gaming community, supporting modifications to Skyrim.

+2
Medusalem
ahotbanana
6 posters

Game crashes on cell change

ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Game crashes on cell change Empty Game crashes on cell change

Post by ahotbanana 3/7/2012, 7:20 pm

I mentioned this a while back on the Nexus and the only solution I was given was that it might get inadvertently fixed in updates. It hasn't, so I figured I'd post here.

The Hi-Res weapons and armour packs work 100%. The problem lies with the Hi-Res world textures. For some reason Skyrim will instantly close when loading a new cell when I have the mod turned on. I've tried turning off every other active mod, and the problem persists. I've tried lowering my settings (though I never thought that would ACTUALLY be an issue) and it didn't fix it, either. Whatever cell I am in when I load the game loads fine and it's because I can see how amazing these textures are that I care so much to get it working fully.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Medusalem
    Medusalem

Game crashes on cell change Empty Re: Game crashes on cell change

Post by Medusalem 3/7/2012, 7:31 pm

The high ress world Texture pack jas no esp, so not my version but i thought it was the last, so you could not aktivated it, you could just put it in you data folder and it will maybe need some more time to load, maybe you pc is not good enough, in that case i would say try the Performance Pack that could raise your Fps and make it maybe a bit more stable.
    oogabooga66
    oogabooga66

Post by oogabooga66 3/7/2012, 9:45 pm

Some things save themselves into the savegame. If this happens, turning off every mod will bring no benefit.

Could you try with all mods except project frenzy off, starting a new game and see how it goes? Some mods do Not like to be added mid game. Some others are fine with it, but require a clean save before being added.

Starting with a new game will test for this.
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Hockeyt0wn13 3/8/2012, 1:37 pm

As others have mentioned.. This is a problem with the save being hardcoded mid game. Also, "Deactivating" mods that don't have an ESP file.. doesn't really get rid of them. If you go look, you will find that the textures are still there.. This may have changed with the latest updates from NMM tho.

ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/8/2012, 3:48 pm

I'm almost certain that the problem is not an underspec on my PC. I've got a 2.4ghz quad core processor alongside 4GB RAM and a GTX280. I could see it possibly be lacking SLIGHTLY, but that would just cause the game to lag rather than crash altogether. The clean save problem seems a LOT more likely to me.

I took your advice and started a new game with the world texture pack on (alongside the hi-res weapons and armour you produced). Game closed while I was still in the opening scene, in the cart. I've tried it 3 times. All 3 times the game has closed at the exact same point. While the thief is saying "Damn you, stormcloaks. Skyrim was fine until you came along: empire was nice and lazy.", it closes when he is halfway through the word "and". The first 2 times I had the graphics settings on ultra, then I decided to just check to see if it was a problem with my PC not being good enough and put them down to medium.

@Hockeyt0wn13: how would I go about properly getting rid of these mods then? Presumably just by deleting all of the added files from my data folder, but I never looked at the folder before modding so I have no way of telling what files should be there for the vanilla.

Thank you all very much for your help so far, btw. I may seem pessimistic, but I am very grateful.
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Hockeyt0wn13 3/8/2012, 3:56 pm

Hey no problem at all, I for one know first hand it sucks having the game crash.. As a modder, I experience at least 1 every day..

How you could check this is either the hard way -->

Hard Way: Use NMM by seeing what exactly you have installed.. Then go to the folder MAIN DIR\Data\ . . . . You should see folders "TEXTURES" and "MESHES" These contain all the data you will need to figure out what is causing the problem. Delete what you think could be causing the problem one by one..

I hope we get the problem solved.. Good luck to you sir, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/8/2012, 4:22 pm

Holy fucknuggets, you reply fast o.o

Sounds very monotonous... the amount of time that would take brings me back so some things I've sworn never to repeat because of pure tedium. It honestly sounds like it would take less time to just reinstall the game to get a vanilla folder and THEN install your hi-res mod...

Decided to delete my entire data folder and verify the local game cache with steam. It's now giving me a vanilla data folder. From there I should be able to completely cleanly install your mod. If this doesn't work I will try it your way and go through all of my meshes and textures to try and find what the file in your mod is that is causing the problem.
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Hockeyt0wn13 3/8/2012, 5:11 pm

Haha, I feel a bit silly for not posting the "easy" portion of the earlier post.. I apologize for that.. But it would have been what you suggested.. To simply clean install everything.

Well, I hope you have it all figured out.. If not I have a few suggestions that might help. But we will get to that after we see if this worked or not.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/9/2012, 9:44 am

OK, so that didn't fix the problem. Which would suggest to me that the problem lies not with the mod or the game itself, but something a bit deeper on my PC. Can't think what could be wrong, though...

Unless... do you think it could be a problem rendering a particular texture within Project Frenzy?

TFQ
    TFQ
    Staff
    Staff

Post by TFQ 3/9/2012, 9:48 am

Huh, is that after a fresh installation? Very peculiar. I'm assuming that you just get booted straight to the desktop without any error messages?

I'm honestly not sure what to suggest. Skyrim for me (unlike Oblivion) has mostly been solid, no matter what mods I've thrown at it, so I haven't had too much experience in troubleshooting those kind of problems.
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Hockeyt0wn13
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Hockeyt0wn13 3/9/2012, 10:36 am

@ Ahotbanana

Try deleting the following folders -->

1. Data/Textures/Actors/-->characters<--

2. Data/Textures/-->Landscapes<--

3. Data/Meshes/Actors/-->Characters<--

** Delete the folder highlighted in RED

If this doesn't solve the problem I would then have to make sure you are using a legit copy of skyrim.. and if you aren't, do you have ALL the updates and patches. Lastly, if nothing else works.. Their must be an underlying issue with your pc.. which is very unfortunate.
    oogabooga66
    oogabooga66

Post by oogabooga66 3/9/2012, 12:40 pm

OK, not sure if you tried it, but have you tried a new game with fresh install and NOTHING added? If it won't run then, we will know alot better whats going on.

If it does turn out to be a pc issue, try this guide.
    http://www.tweakguides.com/files/TGTC_7_1.3.zip

Its painfully long, but the best guide on getting a pc prepped for gaming I have ever seen.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/9/2012, 1:07 pm

TFQ, you are correct, it just boots to desktop.

OK, so that sort of fixed the problem. The game no longer instantly closes, but I get a load of textures not loading and having a purple splodge in their place. When I quit Skyrim I had a message from windows telling me I am low on memory, so I'm guessing my problems are caused by an under-speced PC after all.
    I'll soon be upgrading to Windows 7 (still on windows vista... yeah, I'm that awesome) and that should free up a bit of RAM for me... hopefully it will work after I do so. I'll get back to you all when I know more I guess.

Oh and for the record, I DO have a legit copy of Skyrim.

Thank you very much for your support.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/9/2012, 1:08 pm

And, oogabooga66, hotlinking has been disallowed by that site. I'll have to find the guide myself Razz
    Feodoa

Post by Feodoa 3/10/2012, 12:37 pm

What house mods are you using if any? There are several that cause CTD's. I've tried out several that consistently give CTD's upon entering or leaving a building or cell. One in particular caused CTD's as soon as I started walking into the area ( this was fixed by changing my ugrids back to efault ).These are generally due to texture conflicts between what the modder did to the terrain, and the texture pack being used. As a long time Frenzy user, I can guarantee it isn't the texture pack causing your CTD's. Housing mods are generally built based off of vanilla textures and terrain. Any thing that changes the layout of the terrain can than in fact cause a conflict with that mod.
    oogabooga66
    oogabooga66

Post by oogabooga66 3/10/2012, 2:02 pm

ahotbanana wrote:And, oogabooga66, hotlinking has been disallowed by that site. I'll have to find the guide myself Razz

Oh, my bad. If you click the link, then wait about 10 seconds it pops you out to the main site. On the left column select Tweakguides Tweaking Companion. He also has a good one purely for Skyrim tweaking(the only one I trust, Nvidia actually hired him to write it) that isn't just some guy guessing or tossing out old oblivion tweaks.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/10/2012, 2:31 pm

Like I said, I made a clean install and ran that with these mods on. It's probably to do wtih the fact that I have a lot of things running in the background on my PC that I can't take off (not system things, but important none the less) chewing up my RAM. I'm also running Vista which is very innefficient with RAM. The textures in the pack are very large and I guess they just took their toll. It's not vital that I play with them and I can definitely wait until I upgrade my system (in about 4/5 weeks).
    Feodoa

Post by Feodoa 3/10/2012, 4:51 pm

You could possibly try using Gboost or Gamebooster to temporily shutdown a lot of those background items and any non essential services while you play. That will free up a great deal of ram. With 4gb of Ram, I rarely see the game using more than 2 to 2.5 gigs of ram total. However without using one of those two game boosters, I often see my memory usage hit 90-95% ( when using an ENB mod). With gamebooster rarely hit 85%. Helps a lot. Game doesn't like it when you get close to maxxing out your memory.
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/11/2012, 3:36 am

I gave GBoost a go... now I'm convinced the problem ISN'T a lack or RAM because it made no difference to the game's performance. I'm thoroughly confused now, actually xD
    When I came out of the game I allegedly had 35% free RAM... so it almost definitely ISN'T a problem with that...
    TFQ
    TFQ
    Staff
    Staff

Post by TFQ 3/11/2012, 6:14 am

That is puzzling. I have to say, your specs are probably about comparable with mine - my processor is a bit faster, but your graphics card is better... I wouldn't have suspected the rig was the problem. I am running windows 7 64bit though, whatever difference that might make.

How has your computer dealt with Skyrim in general, and with any other mods you might have installed? Something that caused me no ends of problems when I started playing was my graphics card settings: trying to force the game to use the high-end settings there slowed things down to unplayable levels. When I reset it to 'use game specifications' and controlled things from the launcher, everything was hunky-dory.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!
    ahotbanana
    ahotbanana

Post by ahotbanana 3/11/2012, 6:56 am

Before I reinstalled for trying to fix this mod I've been playing with a HUGE number of mods and on higher than ultra settings (changed numbers in the ini) without any problem whatsoever.
    Windows 7 64 bit will effectively give around 1 extra GB of RAM to me (got vista 32), so it COULD be that... but given that GBoost gave me around an extra GB when I tried it, I don't see that as being the problem.
    I've been having problems with windows updates lately, the two problems could be linked. That's my current theory, anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/8/2024, 5:40 pm